Each year, millions of tourists visit Canada. An estimated 35 million people visit Canada each year to take advantage of the country’s many opportunities, including visiting family and friends.
Canada Visitor Visas, also called Temporary Resident Visas (TRV) or Canada Tourist Visas, include documents to prove that you meet the conditions of the Canadian visa (as a visitor, student, or worker).
Canada offers two types of visitor visas: single entry visas and multiple entry visas.
A single entry visa permits foreign nationals to enter Canada only once. A multiple entry visa allows the holders to enter and leave Canada as many times they want or until the valid visa.
Visitors require a visitor visa to Canada if they are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
To obtain a Canada visitor visa, you must have the following documents:
- Applicants must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to sustain themselves and their families during their stay.
- Applicants must not be planning to begin working in Canada.
- All applicants must be free of criminal backgrounds and willing to adhere to the country’s laws.
- Applicants who intend to stay with family or friends should also obtain letters of invitation from their sponsors.
- Certain countries require temporary resident visas.
- Good health
- No criminal or immigration-related convictions
- Additional requirements may apply depending on the applicant’s background.
In order to obtain a Canada Visitor Visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- A valid passport with an expiry date.
- Sufficient funds during your stay in Canada.
- Your relatives’ letter of invitation if you plan to stay with them.
- If you need a medical clearance certificate before you travel, bring it.
How to apply
Each family member must complete the application, including children who are dependents. However, you can submit the entire application at once. Applicants must provide biometric information in their applications, depending on their country of citizenship. At a biometric collection service point, the applicant must provide their fingerprints and photograph if biometrics are required. You can submit your biometrics after submitting your visitor visa application or at a Visa Application Center (VAC) in person when requested.